What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid is help for a person experiencing a mental health challenge, mental disorder, or mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional help is received, or the crisis resolves.
What do Mental First Aiders do?
Mental Health First Aiders….
- Do not diagnose or treat themselves or others
- Observe changes in behaviors
- Offer a nonjudgmental listening ear
- Respect the privacy of the person
- Serve as a vital link to early intervention
- Respect and honor the culture of the person
What do Mental Health First Aiders need to
consider before reaching out?
Staying safe is the most important thing for all Mental Health First Aiders to remember. MHFA does not replace any professional or legal responsibilities a First Aider has or organizational procedures a First Aider must follow as a mandatory reporter, first responder, clinician, or government employee.
Videos with MHFA Instructor Kate Noelke
Resources for Mental Health First Aiders